Welcome to Mark's blog for Capture The Flag (CTF) enthusiasts

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

BENEDICT WOO — Ngee Ann Polytechnic, CSIT, Lag and Crash, "DullSec"


Welcome! Please introduce yourself.
Hi I am Benedict Woo. Currently studying in Ngee Ann Polytechnic and interning at CSIT. I am not too into very fancy team names, but I usually go under the team name DullSec. My favourite category is Reverse Engineering, as I have a strong interest in Malware Analysis. Recently, I took part in CDDC 2022 and Stack the Flag 2022. I was also part of the organizing committee of Lag and Crash 2022.

How did you find out about the CTF community?
I joined my first CTF in 2020 which was the Cyber Defenders Discover Camp organised by DSTA. With very little cybersecurity background coming from secondary school, I was only introduced to CTF when I joined my school’s cybersecurity special interest group called NullSec. Since then, I furthered my passion in the various aspect of cybersecurity, including participating and organising CTFs.

Describe your dream CTF event.
So far, I have yet to participate in a full face-to-face CTF competition, mainly due to the unfortunate Covid situation. Thus I would like to have a physical Jeopardy style CTF, along with other activities such as networking sessions and office tours. And of course, free snacks and food are expected!

What advice would you give to someone looking to get started with CTFs?
I think CTF is something that is all about practice. There are some good online platforms such as TryHackMe and HackTheBox that provide a guided approach to CTF challenges. Another platform is CTFTime, where you can look for interesting CTF competitions to participate in. And once you have gained some experience in the cybersecurity field, I suggest trying to be a challenge creator. Some organisers may open up their challenge creation to school’s interest groups or the general public.

Complete this sentence: "CTFs a.re all about..."
Getting your brains wrecked

How can people find out more about your CTF activities?