Welcome to Mark's blog for Capture The Flag (CTF) enthusiasts

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

NICHOLAS SOH— Nanyang Polytechnic, "die_trying"


Welcome! Please introduce yourself.
Hi! I'm Nicholas and I'm currently studying in year 3 studying Cyber Security and Digital Forensics at Nanyang Polytechnic. I occasionally play for CTF team die_trying. My favorite CTF challenge category as of now is either boot2root or Forensics. I recently took part in SINCON 2023 CTF and placed second.

How did you find out about the CTF community?
I mainly found out about the CTF community through NYP Infosec (NYP cybersecurity Special Interest Group) in year one where I participated in their back2school CTFs and introductory workshops for beginners.

Describe your dream CTF event.
My dream CTF event is one that has well-structured and designed challenges that are both technical and creative. I also really appreciate CTFs that are well-staffed with knowledgeable and responsive administrators.

What advice would you give to someone looking to get started with CTFs?
My advice would be to start small by participating in beginner-level CTFs before gradually working your way up to more advanced competitions. Reading writeups from previous CTFs is also a great way to learn, as it can provide valuable insight into the methodology and approach that other teams use. Some useful resources that are available 24/7 for self-learning include PortSwigger Academy for web exploitation, CryptoHack for cryptography, and CTFlearn for challenges in all other categories.

Complete this sentence: "CTFs are all about..."
Spending hours upon hours googling for the right writeup.

How can people find out more about your CTF activities?