Welcome to Mark's blog for Capture The Flag (CTF) enthusiasts

Sunday, January 15, 2023

DERRICK PNG — Nanyang Polytechnic, GovTech, "dad", "die_trying"

Welcome! Please introduce yourself.
Hello, I am Derrick and I'm currently studying in Nanyang Polytechnic and doing my internship as a Software Engineer at GovTech. I do my CTFs under the team name "Teh" when I first started back in 2020, currently am also under "dad" and "die_trying". My favourite CTF categories are web and pwn challenges. I recently took part in SINCON RELOADED CTF and was placed 2nd.

How did you find out about the CTF community?
I was introduced to CTF back in 2020 by Gabriel Seet. I did my first CTF, LagNCrash CTF, and was hooked into this community, participating in CTFs ever since.

Describe your dream CTF event.
My dream CTF event will be a physical attack and defence style CTF tournament, the event duration should span across a month, having matches on every weekend. On the event venue, there should be food and many mini CTFs that has challenges of a specific area like IoT, hardware, drones etc. Of course, it would definitely be great if there are lucrative prizes to attract competitive and strong teams to join in order to make the event more exciting.

What advice would you give to someone looking to get started with CTFs?
I highly recommend watching John Hammond HackTheBox (HTB) walkthrough videos. This will give you a general understanding of the process of compromising a machine. Afterwards, its pretty "free play" in terms of what you can learn, you can try doing CTFs and HTB boxes :)

Complete this sentence: "CTFs are all about..."
Trying harder.

How can people find out more about your CTF activities?