Welcome to Mark's blog for Capture The Flag (CTF) enthusiasts

Monday, January 16, 2023

YEO JONG HAN — Nanyang Polytechnic, "JustMe", "dad", "die_trying"


Welcome! Please introduce yourself.
Hey! My name is Jong Han and for the past few years, I have been "serving my time" in Nanyang Polytechnic as a Cybersecurity & Digital Forensics student. As for CTF team names, I usually play under "JustMe" when participating alone, but recently I have also been playing under "die_trying" and "dad". I enjoy solving most of the CTF categories, but my main focuses are on Binary Exploitation and Blockchain. I recently placed 2nd in PwC's Hackaday CTF and placed 3rd in SINCON 2023 CTF.

How did you find out about the CTF community?
I came across TryHackMe in 2020 while searching for courses on Linux and I found out about CTFs while browsing through the lessons on that site. It wasn't until 2021 when I realized my enjoyment of participating in CTFs.

Describe your dream CTF event.
A physical, Jeopardy style CTF held over 2-4 days showcasing various innovative challenges (not those classic challenges), including hardware challenges where you have to perform MITM attacks or poke at JTAG ports. Having around 50 teams of 4 would be fun to compete against and it would be nice to have cash prizes. Extra points if it is being held overseas.

What advice would you give to someone looking to get started with CTFs?
picoCTF and TryHackMe are great introductions to CTFs. If you really want to learn from CTFs, it is great to try challenges that seems difficult to you, then read up on writeups after the CTF and take notes from it. Doing CTFs regularly can help to improve your thinking and technical skills, so try not to put it on the shelf :)

Complete this sentence: "CTFs are all about..."
Learning and Improving.

How can people find out more about your CTF activities?